- Preheat the BBQ to medium or preheat an oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash the peppers and slice them lengthwise without cutting all the way through the pepper. Then remove the seeds and membrane from inside. This will form a pocket so that you can stuff it with the cheese.
- Fill each pepper with 1 - 2 teaspoons of the cream cheese, depending on the size of the pepper, by using a knife to press it into the pocket of the pepper.
- Wrap the bacon around the pepper and then pierce all the way through with two skewers, one near the top and one near the bottom of the pepper, to hold the bacon in place and so that you can flip them more easily on the BBQ. You can put two peppers onto one skewer.
- Once all skewers have been prepared, place them on the grill or, if using oven method, place on a cookie sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Then flip the peppers and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy or just the way you like it. Be careful, the cheese will be really hot when you take the poppers out, so don't burn yourself on them like I did!
Thursday, September 25, 2008
We went to the farmers market and were inspired by some jalapeno peppers, so we bought a basket. I brought them home and wondered what to make. Then it occurred to me...POPPERS! Here's what I made and they're absolutely delicious. (I recommend wearing gloves so that you don't get the jalapeno oil on your hands.)
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
4 jalapeno peppers
4 to 8 tsp chive and onion cream cheese
4 slices salt reduced bacon
4 skewers, soaked in water for 20-30 mins