- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend flour, baking soda and spices together and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and 1/2 cup of sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg until well mixed. Then add the molasses and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Using rounded teaspoonfuls (or not quite full tablespoons), form dough into balls the size of walnuts and roll them in the extra 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, approximately two inches apart and lightly flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Soft, Chewy Ginger Cookies
I love ginger cookies, both hard like gingersnaps or gingerbread men and soft like these chewy cookies. They're quick and easy to whip up and this recipe is foolproof!
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar (for rolling cookies)