Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Baking


I love shortbread cookies and I've been looking for an easy, no-fuss recipe. Melanie, a friend of a friend, was kind enough to drop a little gem in my lap. I had a bit of time on my hands, so naturally, I ran straight to the kitchen and gave it a try. I tweaked it slightly, so here's my version.

Shortbread Cookies

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt


STEPS
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Cream together the butter and egg yolk.
  • Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
  • Mix the flour and salt together, then add it in three batches to the buttery mixture. Mix until crumbly.
  • Knead the dough with your hands until it is soft and pliable. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle with about a 1/2-inch thickness.
  • Cut the rectangle into strips and prick the tops of each strip with a fork. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet.

  • Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

  • Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring to a rack.