Saturday, February 28, 2009

Anna Olson's Tea Loaf



I was on a search for a recipe that I could whip up quickly and toss into the oven without much effort. I came across Anna Olson's recipe for a tea loaf that sounded like it fit the bill perfectly. Here's my version of the recipe which adds a bit more spice to the loaf.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups hot brewed earl grey tea
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup butter

STEPS
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Pour hot tea over raisins and set aside to soak.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and spices. Cut in butter until blended thoroughly.
  • Pour in tea and raisins and stir to mix until smooth.
  • Pour mixture into a greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.

I didn't make the glaze that Anna did, but it might be good. I thought the loaf was okay, but still needed more flavor. Next time, I will try it with a different tea, maybe use cranberries instead of raisins and add some orange zest. That might make it a bit more exciting.